Dedicated SoYouStart

I also purchased a dedicated server from SYS and for the price you can't beat it. I was paying almost double for a VPS. Yeah the specs of the actual machine the VPS was on might be better but not when you are sharing it.

I like the fact they are constantly adding new features to the packages as well. I've just enabled the NFS protocol on one of my servers so I can mount the backup space, rather than limiting access to FTP.

The only thing I don't like, but perhaps I'm not understanding their system, is the inability to choose which DC in Europe the server is deployed too?
The only option I see on both the SYS and Kimsufi ranges, is:

The fastest delivery time in Europe
I would like the fastest possible delivery, so the first available server will be allocated to me automatically in one of the OVH datacentres.

Decided to give them a try, well, the Kimsufi arm anyways.
Grabbed one of their i3 servers, with 8gb of ram and a 1tb hard drive.
When I last used Kimsufi, you could install your own copy of windows if you provide a license, but apparently that feature has been removed, which surprised me, it's basically Linux only distributions.
But, there was a rather nifty/useful guide I found thanks to Google where you use the live rescue system to boot off a premade Windows DVD, so I installed Windows 8.1 and have been using it now for a few weeks.
It's been AOK, no issues what so ever, not bad for a server which is costing about £13!

That's the same server as the one I use for my backups

Code:
18:46:23 up 147 days, 23:27,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.05

Hmm you know, I never thought about that.
That would work? I guess all I'd need to do, is setup a VPN server on it and route traffic through that server...?
Not tried that before.

I'm not sure exactly how Netflix decides what region you are based in. I've tried using DigitalOcean as a proxy, but it was still seeing me as coming from Region2. I've read that you need to use US based DNS servers.

I've been keeping an eye on the SoYouStart stock recently, and it's becoming more and more difficult to catch them when they actually have anything in stock to order

Still a bit confused as to why they offer 3 SSD drives rather than 2 or 4? any thoughts? lol

3 work well in RAID1. Gives very good read/write speeds. You can also use 2 in RAID1 and use the 3rd for a dedicated partition (such as putting MySQL on that drive).

Is running an unmanaged dedicated server *much harder* than running an unmanaged dedicted VPS?

I'm currently using a $40 8gb Linode plan. When I switched to SSL the handshake was a major bottleneck each time I posted an article. Every user had a white page for about 10 seconds while the handshake happened.

I'm wondering if a dedicated server may solve this issue. I like the benefits of http2.

No, it's pretty much exactly the same.

As for the handshake, it would depend on the stack you are running on the server.

Back