Snow

Matt

Owner
So that's all the non-business critical staff sent home from work.

I'm here while 7pm tonight

I hope you have some good winter tires. In some provinces it's a law to have them. I love my winter tires

I hope you have some good winter tires. In some provinces it's a law to have them. I love my winter tires
Unfortunately not. It's not a requirement in this country. I have a set of snow socks though incase I ever get stuck.

Meanwhile in Finland:

snoooow.jpg

Here at latitude 62 degrees (Kuopio region) it has been very snowy Christmas time. But at Helsinki (60 degrees) there isn't snow at all!

If temperature is just some degrees (C) below zero for a long time and it snows often, occurs "tykky". It means snow sticking and accumulating in trees. When there is too much snow the slender trees start to bend under load (arrow). If the trees bend over the middle-voltage powerlines (20 kV) then power outages are likely to occur here in countryside. We had a 7 hours blackout two days ago and plenty of short glitches. That's still tolerable but I really don't like long blackouts.

that's a lot of snow on the roof of your house, unless it's fluffy snow and not wet snow, isn't it dangerous?

its look really cold there,

The roofs here are calculated to bear a load of several hundred kilograms per square meter. The snow thickness on the roof will still grow. Normally there is no need to shovel off the snow from the roof, but some years I have done that.

Actually this winter has been quite warm. Only couple of minus degrees centigrade.

The weather in Finland is very varied. Some winters are cold, but not all.

Last edited:
Back