Digital Ocean vs Linode

That's quite an old thread though now. They have done a lot from what I've read recently to improve their business model, as their old Kimsufi range didn't even have a setup fee, so people were ordering a dedicated server, having it for 1 month, and then buying another when better HW was released.

They stopped taking orders for a few months. I also like how they have released the SoYouStart range as an intermediate between Kimsufi and OVH, where there is "some" support, but nothing like the OVH support, and more than Kimsufi (basically nothing expect support on their forum).

I don't need management, so it's a good business model for me personally. I have multiple full offsite backups, so if the server goes boom, I'll just spin up a VPS and put it on there until the HW gets fixed.

@mikeg, what size VPS are you looking for and what storage/transfer?
I'm working on a new project (with Matt) to offer VPS', I'd be more than happy to further discuss your needs.

Good question, I'm still load testing to determine needs, but it seems that Rails is CPU hungry because of single-threading. I'm currently testing DigitalOcean's 4 core 80GB and really like their SSD (compared to current Linode). I even tested DO's 12c/33GB plan and was pleased to that see my app scale nicely.
So yeah, I'm interested to hear what you guys have going on. May be a good fit. Thanks.

We're planning to run SSD's in parallel with SAS drives (hybrid), to ensure durability.

I'll finalise some numbers and get back to you 😃.

That's quite an old thread though now. They have done a lot from what I've read recently to improve their business model

Cool, thanks for the insights. I was just starting to see the bigger picture that their services were related and evolving. DDos seems to be a growing problem (even for new sites), so that was something I was curious about. CloudFlare.com has also been recommend by several hosting companies in the States, but at looks like it can get expensive & complex ($20 - $200 per month per Domain).

I've set up someone previously with CloudFlare, and wasn't that impressed with it, but that was over 12 months ago now (and their free plan).
Just took a look at their site, and $20 to $200 isn't cheap, especially for a new site or someone not making income from it.
http://www.cloudflare.com/ddos
Proper DDOS only seems to come in on their $200 plan. I have read a few things on WHT showing they can absorb quite a large DDOS though.

Yeah, seems kinda ironic to spend $2,400/year to thwart the occasional hacker kid that wants a few $hundred for ransom 👎

The site I helped out the other year was constantly getting ddos'd, which is why we put the site behind cloudflare initially. Spent more time offline than it did online.

Darn, that sucks. I didn't realize it happened so frequently.
I'll keep you posted on my progress and findings -- I appreciate your help and glad I found you guys.

Glad to have you here, and really pleased you managed to find us amongst the vast amount of info on the web 👍

Back