XenForo Services Questions

Discussion in 'XenForo Services' started by Matt, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt Owner

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have regarding the XenForo services currently being offered.

If there is something specific you require that isn't already listed, please let me know, and we can discuss your requirements.

2. garry420

garry420 Member

3. Ben Kemp

Ben Kemp Customer

Hi Matt

Your name keeps cropping up whilst trying to find help getting a Xenforo forum optimised for load speed.... :)

The site:
    Home: www.gt-rider.com
    Forums: GT-Rider Motorcycle Forums

The site is on a Fastcomet Cloud 4 VPS:
    • 6 x 2.80GHz CPU
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 192 GB SSD Space
    • PHP 7

The site runs ok, but I know it could be a lot better... This week I've worked through what I could of the suggestions here:
    - 10 Tips on How to Speed Up XenForo Forum

That included;
    1. installed "File" caching - because I could not get APCu or Memcached to work with the settings Xenforo provide...
    2. Installed the [bd] Cache caching add-on - set minify CSS and defer JS
    3. jQuery CDN set to Google instead of local
    4. Gzip / Browser compression in .htaccess
    5. Set Expires Headers in .htaccess
    6. Spent ages sorting out image file sizes
    The focus of page load speed efforts has been on the Forum Index page.
    - I've got it down from 2.5Mb to 1.6Mb, mainly though image optimisation.
    - But total HTTP Requests have barely moved downwards a bit (146 to 141) which begs the question about whether caching is working at all...

Testing on www.GTmetrix.com, Webpagetest.org and Google's Page Speed Insights at each stage, things are better BUT...

The Tech Support guys at Fastcomet are excellent, and eager to help: if I can specify exactly what is needed. They installed both Memcached and APCu
    - but I could not get either of those to work in Xenforo using the recommended settings...

I filed a support ticket at Xenforo - they said;

"We have a general help page here related to caching: Defining a Cache | XenForo The information listed on that page is the extent of it as far as XF is concerned - all other set up must be done on the server."

So I am between a rock and a hard place - and some technical advice and assistance seems like a good idea! :)

When you have some time, I'd be delighted if we come to an arrangement on an hourly rate for you to take a look at the site for me.

Kind regards
    Ben Kemp