Update Shared Hosting DNS Update

Matt

Owner
After the issues last night with Cloudflare, I've been working on a new DNS setup for the shared hosting platform.

The current setup is a cluster of 4 VPS servers joined to the shared hosting server, located in 4 different DC's with 4 different VPS providers. This can be slow for DNS resolution depending on which DNS server your ISP initially picks for the query, as you might be in the UK, and get the DNS servers in the US, or located in the US, and get the DNS servers in the UK.

The new setup is using anycast, so you will be routed to the DNS server closest to your current location.

https://www.incapsula.com/blog/how-anycast-works.html

All DNS functions are now offloaded to a 3rd party DNS provider, so the only downside to this is any DNS updates you require will need to be performed manually by me, so please open a thread in the support section for any DNS requests. I'll create a new thread prefix for this.

I'm using their vanity name servers, so ns1/ns2/ns3/ns4.mattwservices.uk are now being answered by their anycast DNS servers, so no change is required on your part. I've imported all the existing DNS records from the existing DNS servers I have.

The new provider has 23 POP locations for their DNS servers, compared to the 4 I was able to use.

I'll be leaving the old infrastrucutre online while next week just to be safe, but so far, all tests have provided positive improvements.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt

Owner
Some stats on the mattwservices.uk domain. As this is the domain which has to be resolved initially to then allow the resolution of your domains, the query count on this is very high. This was one of the main reasons why I switched this all over:

1533042972143.png

Matt

Owner
Just to remind everyone. If you require any edits to DNS, or you are adding a new domain, subdomain etc, I need to make these edits manually, so please let me know.