New Laptop

Matt

Owner
So, my previous laptop, HP Envy Ultrabook has served me very well for the last 2 years. Intel i5 3rd Gen, 8GB RAM, Crucial 256GB SSD installed.

However, I've had a hankering for a Lenovo for a while now. We use them at work (I've got a T430 as my work laptop), and I went to the local PC world and saw a Yoga 2 Ultrabook in Orange. However, it was the last they had in stock locally, and wouldn't do me any deal on it being the store demo model, so I walked away.

John Lewis had the silver version in stock:

234023816alt5

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-yog...ram-500gb-8gb-sshd-13-3-touch-screen/p1756519

However.........while browsing their site, I saw they had an offer on the Yoga 2 Pro (Intel i7, 4K HD screen, 128GB SSD)......and £350 off the RRP

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-yog...sd-13-3-qhd-touch-screen-silver-grey/p1783162

234141687alt4

So a phone call to store, and 1 hour later, I picked it up!

I'm using it now, and I'm blown away by it. It's taken a bit of getting used to and setting up, as a lot of the applications don't scale onto the 4K HD scree, so you need to manually adjust the dpiscaling (150% seems to be a nice level)

A larger HDD would be nice, but I have a 1TB OneDrive account, so all my documents are in the cloud anyway.

Just can the crucial scanner to see what type of upgrades I could do:

upload_2015-1-8_5-32-22.png

I didn't know that it didn't have a traditional SSD installed, but one of the internal SSDs.

I also can't upgrade the ram any further either.

It looks great!
It is annoying that you can't change the hard drive though. It is a bit like a PC version of an Apple laptop (the new types, where you can't change anything I think).

It looks great!
It is annoying that you can't change the hard drive though. It is a bit like a PC version of an Apple laptop (the new types, where you can't change anything I think).
The HDD can be swapped, but it's one of those that mounts directly to the motherboard.

The 256GB one would be a nice upgrade, but I'm going to just use the 1TB USB3 drive I bought this week for any larger files.

Nice laptop Matt !
I bought myself one of these back in late 2014 - https://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW-b-Griffin-17-3-GTX-850M-Laptop-100p2152.htm
Spec is:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz Sodimm (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: Samsung 250GB 840 Evo SSD
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB
Screen: 17.3" Matte HD+ LED (1600x900)
Webcam: 2.0 Megapixel Built-in Webcam
Card Reader: 9 in 1 Card Reader
Wifi: Intel 7260 Wifi 300Mbps + Bluetooth Mini PCI-E

Hardly used it though, heh, I was planning on going to the USA last year, but couldn't go.
So it's kinda sitting in a corner right now.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz Sodimm (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: Samsung 250GB 840 Evo SSD
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB
Screen: 17.3" Matte HD+ LED (1600x900)
Webcam: 2.0 Megapixel Built-in Webcam
Card Reader: 9 in 1 Card Reader
Wifi: Intel 7260 Wifi 300Mbps + Bluetooth Mini PCI-E
That's a nice spec!

What's the main reason for it hardly being used? Using something else instead? Mine has hardly been turned off since I got it.

It's a nice machine, it boots up far quicker than my Desktop, it's got Windows 8 installed and it boots to the desktop (from the windows logo) in about 5 seconds.
I use my desktop exclusively for everything, work and gaming, can't beat a 27 inch screened gaming machine heh.

Spec of my desktop is pretty decent, seems to handle every game I throw at it....poor thing hehe.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-01-22 20.12.36.png
    Screenshot 2015-01-22 20.12.36.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 5
Laptop is going great. So much faster than my old one, and the 4k resolution makes my work laptop look like I don't have my contact lenses in!

Go back to bed, far to early! :p
I've not been yet :( Don't finish work while 7am, and then got to take the car to the garage for 8am to have the service light turned off (fault on the new A3 where the brake fluid interval has been incorrectly set for 2 years rather than 3)

I've been playing with the laptop a bit this evening, and have scaled the display down from 3200x1800 to 1920x1080. Quite a difference in the speed at which the laptop now runs with the lower display option, and there is no real difference in quality that I can see on the actual screen.

Nice laptop Matt!

I feel like I will need a new laptop soon, I have been using my Asus G75VW for a while now. I just don't know with what laptop I should replace it, another Asus or an MSI.

Back