New Hosting

tommydamic68

Hosting Customer
Hi @Matt - I will tell you my story on where I am and where I would like to be with my Xenforo community and perhaps you can help.

I have an Xenforo site that sees about 20-30 visitors at a time throughout the day at one time. My host is Hostgator and I pay about 10 a month. I really never had any major issues with them except the speed of my site- most of the time, not always.

Due to my file size - or inodes I have exceeded the quota and over the limit of 100,00 files (about 136,000) and therefore have to pay a company through Hostgator (Codeguard) for daily back ups. It runs me about 100 a year. But needed. I also use about 30-40 gigs of bandwidth a month.

Here is what I am looking for.

Speed- I want to be in the range of 20 bucks a month. I see Digital Ocean has a 20 dollar a month plan. Will this do what I am looking for - speed, performance?

I need a back up option that is simple.

I am not an expert on server maintenance and set up. I rarely even use my Cpanel now but to view folders and files and download my database for back ups- that's it.

I like simple.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi @Matt - I will tell you my story on where I am and where I would like to be with my Xenforo community and perhaps you can help.

I have an Xenforo site that sees about 20-30 visitors at a time throughout the day at one time. My host is Hostgator and I pay about 10 a month. I really never had any major issues with them except the speed of my site- most of the time, not always.

Due to my file size - or inodes I have exceeded the quota and over the limit of 100,00 files (about 136,000) and therefore have to pay a company through Hostgator (Codeguard) for daily back ups. It runs me about 100 a year. But needed. I also use about 30-40 gigs of bandwidth a month.

Here is what I am looking for.

Speed- I want to be in the range of 20 bucks a month. I see Digital Ocean has a 20 dollar a month plan. Will this do what I am looking for - speed, performance?

I need a back up option that is simple.

I am not an expert on server maintenance and set up. I rarely even use my Cpanel now but to view folders and files and download my database for back ups- that's it.

I like simple.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom
The $20 droplet will be more than enough to run your site. However, it will leave you with a bare bones OS.

You will need to be able to either set it up and secure it yourself, as well as maintain it in the long run, or have someone do it for you. The $20 price point would only just cover the Cpanel licence if you wanted to have something that you are already familiar with.

I currently use one of their $20 droplets and a Cpanel licence for the free hosting I offer to my family members, and it runs very well.

upload_2014-2-27_18-52-48.png

If you are wanting to keep in the $20 range, you are really going to need to go unmanaged with no panel.

My suggestion would be nginx / mariadb installed via centminmod. You are also going to then need to be able to configure DNS yourself.

You can choose to add a backup option to your droplet for $5 a month extra (1/4 of the price of the droplet), but that is using their system, and you don't really have access to the files, you can just make a new droplet from the backup.

Doing what you say you currently do would you'd need to know how to export the database via the command line using mysqldump and then sftp onto the droplet to copy if offsite.

I can set this all up for you, but obviously it would cost, and then anything extra you would want setting up, or ongoing maintenance could be discussed.

Ok- thanks. Could you pm me the setup cost. That would include moving my site as well I imagine.

Also Matt- what would I need to manage or set up additional? Literally- I have been with shared hosting for 5 years and have barely touched the Cpanel but mentioned above to view files or download a data base.

What worst case scenario could happen where I would need to pay for your assistance after initial set up?

Thanks

Forgot to answer that. Yes, it would be fully moved over, and you'd be left with a fully configured and working site.
Ok- thanks @Matt will think it over - still trying to figure out my next best alternative than shared hosting that I can manage successfully myself without a large price tag.

Back