New Home Internet Connection

wow, your old internet was a dinosaur, 22mps way to slow

your new internet is fast, but not fast enough in my eyes, i want 1,000,000,000,000,000 mbps
the world isn't moving fast enought for me, everything is so slow

i wish i had 215mbps , but that cost around 350 usd per month, way too much money

so for now im stuck on 40mbps, ive had this speed for years

i want fast internet too!! you are so lucky!

the good thing is i have unlimited internet, so i dont have to worry about extra charges

My old connection was limited by the distance from my house to the exchange. The package I had was "upto 80mbps", but the main serving exchange it miles away from the street cabinet, so even though it's fibre to the cabinet, I was only guaranteed upto 26mpbs. That was costing me £38 a month, as you have to pay for phone line rental as well (I don't have a phone plugged into the socket, only using it for broadband). New connection is only costing me £27 a month :)

ahh your new connection is cheaper, fiber is so cheap in the uk
there must be lots of competition there

i pay £68 a month for home(unlimited), and £20 a month for cellphone internet(1gb)

the telecommunications companies have a monopoly here,

i always wanted to try fibre, to see if it would make a big difference, considering i dont download anything, i only stream, but my connection now seems good enough to stream, i never have problems

There is plenty of competition, but the majority are just reselling / LLU (local loop unbundle) providers, running over the top of BT's existing infrastructure. Virgin Media run their own network, which is all brand new equipment / technology. They only put their equipment into my street 18 months ago, and only 2 weeks ago started taking orders for services. Mine is one of the first to go live on our street.

i'll have to look into immigrating to the u.k. so i can get faster internet

my english is pretty good, so i think i would adapt easily

i'll have to look into immigrating to the u.k. so i can get faster internet

my english is pretty good, so i think i would adapt easily

Yeah, but we have awful weather.... leaving the EU and The X Factor so things aren't always that rosy over here :)

Jealous Matt very nice speed upgrade. Australia's broadband future suxs badly (search for Australian NBN). Though I am on cable right now with 100Mbps/2.5Mbps @AUD$160/m yes upload suxs. But fastest NBN will be is 100/40 and my area doesn't get it until July 2019 heh. Probably be a good decade before I see>100Mbps speeds heh
New connection is only costing me £27 a month
dam that's cheap !

We are having to do a lot of NBN stuff with our customers in Australia for the broadband service we offer at work. Doesn't help that Telstra are useless!

We are having to do a lot of NBN stuff with our customers in Australia for the broadband service we offer at work. Doesn't help that Telstra are useless!
Indeed it's messed up. Would love to see Google bring their USA Gigabit fibre services to Australia to give Telstra some competition - but that's a dream heh

We live in the Finnish countryside. I got rid of my 8M ADSL landline 6 years ago (it became untrustworthy over the years) and ever since I have used the 4G LTE mobile network.

Here outside urban areas the LTE network has mostly 800 MHz base stations. Those have quite a limited capacity and when more and more people in this village have moved to mobile internet the speed has dropped to low readings. It got so bad that last summer the downlink speed dropped even to 2M at evening when there was lots of users. :bored:

There are 1800 and 2600 MHz base stations too, but they have a limited range and there hasn't been any such station nearby as we live practically in forest. The base stations with higher frequency have much better capacity and can serve more users.

However, this October the base station 5,5 km away from our house was updated to 1800 MHz. :) In the mobile coverage maps the 1800 MHz masts have a small, 1-2 km radius around them. This far away from mast I decided to go after the best available antenna solution.

I noticed that in Russia the distances between base stations are long and they are built mostly middle of villages. Someone living farther away must have a good antenna to receive a decent signal. The russians are DIY people and sometimes they seem to use satellite dishes for LTE reception. In the english-speaking countries such a antenna setup is very rare.

I made an eBay purchase from Voronezh, Russia. It is a satellite dish irradiator, if that is the right word. Anyway it is put in the focal point of dish. It's MIMO, there is actually two antennas inside with a 90 degrees angle between them.

The sat dish I bought from Finland. The price of whole setup was around 80 euros.

What amazes me is how fast internet I got. And the most amazing thing is how fast it is under very unfavorable conditions. :wideyed:

The dish is aimed at the 1800 MHz mast 5,5 kms away. However, between the dish and the base station is a roof made of concrete tiles. On the roof is now lots of snow, metered horizontally there is a one meter thick layer of snow! Despite of all this attenuation Huawei router shows 4 beams out of 5 and the speed is such:

4gspeed.png

The router is in a cheap old styrofoam cooler acting as insulation. There is no heating in the attic so in winter the temperature can drop to -20 degrees of centigrade. The antenna cables are as short as can be made. No cable loss!

I think the router is now the narrowest point in the data flow. It has max speed of 100M and the theoretical speed of my isp account is 150M. I am going to replace the router when I have made a weatherproof enclosure for my ZyXEL. It is faster.

dish setup.jpg

Last edited:
That's really good to see! My 4G wifi which I use as a backup simply uses a small router which the sim card plugs directly into, but that's a backup connection for if I'm away from home, or my home ISP goes down (which it's only done once since I got it back in June)

In Finland the government decided almost 10 years ago that internet via fiber cable should be made possible for almost anyone and anywhere in the country. That should happen in a way where municipalities together would set up own fiber companies for the job. Then the state would support the new infrastructure companies ground digging and fiber cable laying costs with some percentage.

That led to development where many new companies were established with high hopes and now many of them are bankrupt. And still not fiber for us here. Interestingly some very rural areas acted fast and managed to get fast internet, but there is big problems how that will be financed.

But in general we have quite good mobile internet coverage, speed and fair pricing in Finland.

I looked the map, it looks like a conveniently-sized village and might be easy to cover with suitable equipment.

Here everything is quite scattered around. But we have three big mobile broadband providers and the competition has been good for the pricing. In Finland it is common to market mobile internet without data transfer limits.

In Finland it is common to market mobile internet without data transfer limits.
That's good if they aren't limiting the usage. I'm currently on my laptop, tethered to my mobile phone. I get 40GB a month data on my phone, and I have another 8GB on the SIM that I use in my wifi hotspot device,

Typical offer here:
100 Mbit 4G lte
No data limit
Contract which you can end when you want
25€/month

Last edited:
i upgraded my internet!

now i am at 120mps

i looked online and my isp lowered the prices without telling me, so the one i had was actually cheaper

i was paying all these months higher without knowing, its always good to check the prices every 6 months,

because the isps wont tell you!!

I've just had a look, and Virgin Media who I'm with now offer 300mbps, so I'm going to call them in the morning and see how much more it would cost to upgrade my package with them.

Back