Matt Do You Know Rails?

Samuel

Customer
Compliments Matt,

I am about to buy a website that is hosted on Linode. I am looking to optmise it so as to reduce the monthly spend. The website is Rails and the seller is talking a language I don't understand. See snippet below
<start>
do you not know anything about Rails? That wouldn't be great
it mostly "just works" (though the source could use updates i'm sure) but long-term i think whoever got it would want to redo all the deployment stuff to something they were familiar with... the DB and proxy setup is pretty simple (config wise) Ubuntu or Debian boxes with mysql/varnish, and the configs are in SCM. I forget exactly the Rails setup... but it could be changed entirely without too much difficulty by someone familiar with rails deploys
if you only know php you might be a little out of your depth
nginx/unicorn for Rails, configs also in SCM
CloudFare -> Varnish (2) -> [ Nginx -> Unicorn -> Rails ](2) [Mysql] (1)... there isn't any "magic" or anything crazy in the setup outside of those pieces
that is a pretty normal setup AFAIK
of course that could all be simplified also, it maybe over engineered... i believe the monthly costs could be way lower if that was the concern
it might all even run on the DB box
</end>
:confused:

Hi Samuel, long time no speak!

Unfortunately, I've never looked at rails, so don't know anything about it.

Last edited:
I know buddy!
I went back to Thailand :love:

This is gonna be a tricky one. Do you think you might be able to optimise the server?

To be totally honest, it's not something I would be confident in, as the platform it totally alien to me, and I've never used it.

Back