Maintenance JetBackup 4 upgrade to 5

Matt

Owner
All of the shared hosting servers are currently running Jetbackup 4 to manage the backups. There is a newer version (5), however, there is no direct upgrade path.

They need to be run in parallel , and the backups need to be re-generated going forward in the new backup engine provided by version 5 of the software.

I've initially kicked this off on cp4.mattwservices.uk, and will need to allow the full 30 day backup cycle to complete before I can remove the legacy version 4 of the software.

Once this is done, I will move onto the next server, and so forth until they are all migrated to the new version.

Matt

Owner
Further to this, the new backup version has many improvements for S3 compatible backups. I'm currently sending cp4.mattwservices.uk backups to Wasabi S3 storage from this morning, and seeing if there is an improvement in speed. If this is successful (which it appears to be), I'll be using this going forward, and migrating away from my own dedicated backup servers, as the storage with Wasabi is infinitely scalable, and removes the management of dedicated backup servers.

Matt

Owner
The backups to Wasabi are going well! One specific server I’ve converted over is a customers VPS, and previously was taking ~10 minutes for the incremental backups to complete. Now this is using Wasabi, it’s taking just over 3 minutes 😳

toad

Managed Customer
thank you for the updates!

matt is king!

king.png

i need to improve my server skills! you have so much knowledge!

Matt

Owner
cp2.mattwservices.uk has been upgraded, and that will start using Wasabi S3 for the backup storage from the next backup run.

Matt

Owner
cp2.mattwservices.uk has been upgraded, and that will start using Wasabi S3 for the backup storage from the next backup run.
So for comparison, cp2 used to take between 14 and 18 minutes to perform the incremental backups, now they are on Wasabi, it's taking just over 8 minutes to complete.

Matt

Owner
So my Wasabi account has been migrated to a partner account, so as part of this, I need to re-create the backups and buckets that were created on the old account.

There are currently 7 days worth of backups in there, so those will unfortunately be lost as part of the switch over to the new account.

Matt

Owner
cp1.mattwservices.uk and rs1.mattwservices.uk have been migrated over to Wasabi S3 as of yesterday.