Happy midsummer!

N. Ormal

Managed Customer
Midsummer - Wikipedia

This photo was taken yesterday at Kerkonkoski canal harbour in Finland.

kerkko_bonfire.jpg

Here's an example conversation if you want to learn Finnish (midsummer-related vocabulary):

Kokko, kokoo kokoon koko kokko!
Koko kokkoko?
Koko kokko!

Kokko=multiple meanings, is a common family name in Finland. Also means bonfire and an eagle (ancient meaning). Koko=whole, kokoo (kokoa)=collect, kokoon=together, kokkoko="do you mean kokko?".

How to translate the conversation in English? Well, the story goes like this:
Somebody asks a person, named Kokko to gather together the whole bonfire. Kokko wants to make sure if he/she has understood correctly that the whole bonfire should be put together. Then the another person confirm that the commandment concerns the whole bonfire. :D

Have a beautiful summer, wherever you are!

Last edited:
I wish i could go to finland but the flight, hotel prices, transportation, are too expensive

it's not easy to travel in developed countries, i went to japan once and i was broke in a couple days

for now, traveling via google maps is the best i can do

fin.png

Well, if you googlemap Finland, I'll welcome to visit my hometown Kuopio!

Kuopio is surrounded by the Lake Kallavesi and the local speciality is Kalakukko. In english it's something like FishRooster :joyful:. It doesn't have chicken at all. It's kinda bread with some little fish "muikku" and some pork baked inside. Not bad at all. Muikku is a tasty fish!

wow Kuopio is surrounded by water everywhere,

i like living by the water, the food is always good, and i want a boat

i've never tried Muikku, but it looks delicious, we mostly only have salmon here

your city looks like a very peaceful city, like a good place to retire,

i hope someday i can retire in a peaceful city

water.png

It looks like Finnish people must love the outdoors,

Do they play outside during the winter as well?

I hide in my room all year round:D

I think the folks here are a bit bipolar. I the winter they are quite normal, maybe slightly depressed. In the summer there is plenty of light around the clock, the weather can be sunny and warm (if we are lucky). Then the people go nuts or even bananas :D.

The Finns use to play outside quite much. It is true.

why isn't noway in the eu!!

and why does norway pay such high taxes!!

Norway, Sweden and Finland should join and become 1 country!!

Actually we have a common history with Sweden. There was one country Sweden-Finland, but half of it was lost in war to Russia. Then Finland was a kinda part of Russia with a limited autonomy. 100 years ago we got independency as a sovereign state.

I think such a scandinavic state wouldn’t be a bad idea. We certainly feel more related with Swedes than the Russians!

it's a good plan, maybe we can organize this plan

but need bigger army, to stop russia, i don't know russia's plan

norway, sweden finland together have a small army,

russia is huge! i dont know if russia wants to make trouble for you guys,

we dont hear much news about norway, sweden, finland here

The russians are fine as invidual people. Many russians visit Finland as tourists. They like Finnish cheese and other foods. Their own foods are sometimes counterfeit crap and they know we have quality products here.

The Russia as state and military power is a bit unpredictable. Sometimes they behave clumsily. Their jets fly just an inch over the border and that is some kind of a message. They have a tendency to lie and their press often writes that many things in Finland are bad or chaotic. But that’s just their way to govern.

Last edited:
there is no finland restaurants in my city, i hope someday i can travel to finland, i like cheese

i was going to go to russia last year but then i got scared!! maybe i will go to finland instead you are right, they are unpredictable, like china

Back