Announcement cPanel Licence Cost Increase

Matt

Owner
I've been made aware of a HUGE increase in cPanel licence costs.

They are bringing this in with immediate effect, which means I'm no longer offering this as an "included" feature of my managed VPS offering. I will also need to review all the existing VPS packages currently being provided, as this increase will more than double what I'm currently paying for each VPS cPanel licence.

Hopefully, I'll be able to absorb some of the cost, but unfortunately, I may need to pass some of the cost back on :(

Matt

Owner
It's for my shared hosting, and VPS platform. It's what most people are familiar with, especially for multiple sites. I can set up without a control panel if requested.

Matt

Owner
So initial investigation and review shows that this will only affect initially the VPS offering where cPanel has been chosen. Anyone with 5 accounts or less on their VPS won't be impacted, as I can absorb the cost.

Anyone with a VPS that needs more accounts will need to have their fees increased to cover the cost from $14.99 for the cPanel VPS license to their new $30 licence. This will then allow / cater for upto 30 accounts on the server. If you are going to be impacted by this, then I will be reaching out to you directly.

I'm also looking at consolidating the CP1 and CP2 shared hosting servers into a single server, because they both have the same licences duplicated on them. They are from the same provider, in the same rack, same network feeds etc, so an issue that affects one more than likely will affect the other, so they may as well be on the same hardware. By doing this, I can increase the spend on hardware, enabling me to again increase the performance of the platform (newer CPUs with more cores etc),and allow for continued growth without it overloading anything.

It also means I can install newer software prior to migrating all the sites over, such as MariaDB10.3 and Elasticsearch 6 (so I know Pete would be happy with this).

I've been looking at alternative hardware to replace the existing servers, but haven't made a decision yet.

Further updates to follow once I've finalised everything.

Matt

Owner
It also means I can install newer software prior to migrating all the sites over, such as MariaDB10.3 and Elasticsearch 6 (so I know @Pete would be happy with this).

I've been looking at alternative hardware to replace the existing servers, but haven't made a decision yet.
New hardware has been ordered, and should be ready in around 3 days to start building it out and planning the migrations over.

toad

Managed Customer
the cpanel investors want more money, it was bound to happen since Oakley Capital took it over,

they're a big company and make big profits and now want to be even bigger with bigger profits,

time to bail ship!

i know another cpanel alternative called plesk, but it was aquired by Oakley Capital also!!

i know centmin mod, which is great but has no gui, i also dont think its possible to allow customers to access their accounts

lately i've started hearing things about DirectAdmin

even though i only have 10 accounts on my cpanel, it won't affect me much
but i was going to start someday my own hosting company, now i can't use cpanel because its too expensive

oh no!! this is bad news,

wasn't cpanel who has a gui the best panel?

so many problems lately, now cpanel gave me this news,

Last edited:

Matt

Owner
New hardware has been ordered, and should be ready in around 3 days to start building it out and planning the migrations over.
New server is online, and I've started configuring it. I've moved a couple of sites over which I own that were on CP2, and all looking good so far.

Matt

Owner
I have never used it, but I am using cpanel only once or twice every 3 months, I don't mind to switch to DirectAdmin or any other alternative you choose.
The only issue for me is I've never used DA either. Your current number of sites won't affect your price, as I'll absorb the increase in costs.

Matt

Owner
cp2.mattwservices.uk has been migrated over. I've created a DNS entry to point the cp2 domain over to the new server, so any connections to cp2.mattwservices.uk should still work as before.