alternative to cpanel?

toad

Managed Customer
What are some good free alternatives to cpanel,

i have a license for cpanel on my dedicated server, but i am practising linux commands and playing around with it.

I don't want to ruin my online server by mistake and have to reformat it as there is live sites on there. I already had to reformat my home server several times as i deleted the wrong files by mistake. But its no big deal since it's not important.

What i am doing is running my own server at home using an old computer and i installed CentOS, the problem is cpanel is only a trail version and i don't want to buy another cpanel licence since it is just for practice.

Is there any free alternatives(WHM&Cpanel) which i can install along side CentOS?

What do people usually do if they run a small website from home.

Before i had a dedicated server, i installed windows and then installed xampp, it works well, but i want to use CentOS and a free cpanel, so i can improve my skills. Mostly because it's linux, I\m trying to move away from windows, as well as my main desktop for personal use. Xampp is for beginners, i think.

what should i use?

~120 servers and ~96% of them use my own developed Centmin Mod LEMP web stack for nginx/php-fpm/mariadb with shell based menu CentminMod.com LEMP Fully Optimized Nginx web stack for CentOS. Only ~4% are cpanel/whm with apache/litespeed web server. Saving me approximately US$1,757/month in cpanel license fees or US$21,084 per year :) Many clients of mine and other Centmin Mod LEMP stack users are saving 10000s of $$$$ each year as opposed to cpanel/whm licensing costs. But Centmin Mod LEMP was not made for shared hosting or email hosting so if you host other folks on the server or need email, cpanel/whm is better choice. FAQ at FAQ - CentminMod.com LEMP Nginx web stack for CentOS

Matt has his own paid service for Centmin Mod LEMP installs too https://mattwservices.co.uk/products/centos-nginx-build.12/ at a bargain price (IMHO) :)

I am not using shared hosting, i have my own dedicated sever. But my websites do require email,

I am starting to get the hang of this linux stuff,

Maybe someday i can drop whm/cpanel, currently it cost 35 usd, it was fine last year, 35 isn't much, but since the canada dollar is so low, and keeps going lower every year, it comes to almost 50 usd! the economy is not good

the good thing is my server company charges me in canadian dollars and not in usd, so it always stays the same price,

it seems most companies on the net charge in usd,

wait a second, i just read the link you posted,

This is a one off set up, once the server is installed and configured, you will then be required to ensure you keep it updated. If you would like me to perform these actions, you can purchase my monthly maintenance package for an additional £15 a month, where I will log in once a month, and update PHP/ Nginx / MariaDB and any other server software to ensure you are always on the latest version.

i already have the monthly server maintenance package, so it means i can purchase the CentOS ngix build and matt can transfer all my stuff, and then i won't have to pay for cpanel anymore?

thats seems like a better deal

so by third party it means i won't be able to use example:

[email protected]

because currently i have one email for each domain, [email protected]

so it means, i would have to get rid of them and use thrid party emails instead, @hotmail, @gmail for my server's websites?

No, 3rd party allows you to use your own domain name. My email is via Google for Business.

Last edited:
ive been using your script for over a year, and it works fine, im more and more comfortable with linux, i also took some courses at school
i also transferred most of my emails to mail.com,

but i still like having my own domain email

does that mean i have to install ZOHO on my server? then i can have emails?

does that mean i have to install ZOHO on my server? then i can have emails?
You don't install zoho on your server, they provide the email as a service, the same as gmail would for example and you would access your emails via their web interface.

Back